Buying Car Insurance in Ventura, CA? Use This Glossary!
Easy explanations of car insurance terms to help you buy in Ventura, CA.
Buying a new (or new-to-you) car is usually fun. You get to peruse all your shiny options online, take a few out for a spin, and tell all your friends about your new ride. Why not keep that fun rolling even while buying auto insurance? Cruise to coverage with this handy glossary of terms to help you find the right car insurance in Ventura, CA.
- Comprehensive coverage. You probably want this. It won't protect you in an accident, but it will come to your rescue for non-driving incidents. Say a tree limb falls on your car. Or it gets stolen. Or some local graffiti artist decides to tag it. The comprehensive portion of your policy helps cover these types of issues.
- Collision coverage. Of course, you do want protection if something happens on the road. Collision coverage steps in if (surprise!) you get into a collision. This is a core part of all car insurance policies in Ventura, CA and throughout the US.
- Deductible. When you get insured, you'll pick a number. Any number. But make sure it's one you can comfortably pay in a lump sum. Your deductible is the amount you'll need to pay out-of-pocket for your auto insurance policy to kick in. The higher your deductible, the lower your monthly premiums.
- Premium. On that topic, your premium is the amount you pay to your insurance agency to insure your car. You can pay this monthly, but some insurance agencies offer a discount if you're willing to pay annually.
- Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage. If you really want to cover your bases, talk to your insurance agent about this type of protection. Sure, everyone in California is supposed to carry insurance if they own a car. Unfortunately, that isn't always the case. Uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage can help cover your expenses if someone who causes an accident doesn't have enough insurance to pay for the damages - or any insurance at all.
This isn't a complete guide to every type of coverage you need to be protected on the road. But I hope it gives you a starting point, taking some of the stress out of getting coverage so you can continue to enjoy your slick new ride. A local insurance agent can help answer any remaining questions and guide you towards the right car insurance in Ventura, CA.